Sunday, April 7, 2013

TopSport Stage Race Pro/1/2 Circuit Race

After a 3 hour break and a light lunch it was time for the circuit race. Adam and I made a plan. He would ace for the breakaway and I would sit in, relax and wait for the sprint. Sounded god to me. If Adam didn't get in a break he would attack with about 500 meters to go and hopefully I'd get a god placing.
Adam wasn't going to do anything until the 3rd quarter. The race started off fast with a number of attacks and a couple of breakaways but nothing stuck.
With about 3 laps to go Adam made his move and got a nice gap. He was solo but doing well on his own about 10 seconds up on the field. I rolled to the front and attempted to slow things down. With 2 laps to go another guy bridged up to Adam and their lead grew as we came through town.
As we came out of the downtown Crit part of the corse and started up the grade onto the main road I see Adam standing at the side of the road with a flat tire. His race was over. Now I had to get to the front and fight for position by myself. The game was the same as the previous year, be in the top 10 at the hairpin turn and try to stay there till the sprint.
I executed the first part of the plan well and came out of the hairpin in the top 10 but things got crowded at the front of the field. As we got to 500 meters it was mayhem with pushing and shoving going on between a couple of guys. I found a clear space but the sprint had already started. I think I finished 15th. Respectable but not good enough for points.
I went for a 1 hour cool down spin and then headed back to the Bay Area to cut the lawn and clean the pool.

I needed to recover ready for the Chico Stage Race the following weekend.

Location:Copperopolis CA

No comments:

Post a Comment