Saturday, April 13, 2013

Chico Stage Race - Pro/1/2 Road Race

I decided to stay in Downtown Chico as it was very convenient for the TT and Crit stages but it meant an early wake up for the Road Race. I was on the road at 6:15 and grabbed breakfast on the way.

I was a little early to the start but this gave me plenty of time for a easy warmup. It was going to be a 90 mile race so not too much warmup was needed. With this race the two 3 mile dirt sections were going to be the big decider and I was hoping that my 2 seasons of Cyclocross were going to help.

A break of 7 guys went almost from the gun and even with a bunch of strong guys chasing on the first lap we weren't gaining on them. After about 40 miles we were closing in on the 3 mile dirt section and the break was just in sight. Because we were getting close a number of guys were sitting up in the break and waiting for the field. All but 2 riders were caught in the dirt section leaving a Mikes Bikes guy and a Strava Guy up the road. The field took things fairly easy through he dirt compared to previous years and everyone in the field was back together after a mile or so on the pavement. The two breakaway guys must have been working hard as they were out of sight at this point.

It took a good effort from a couple of teams to close the gap and before we got to the dirt again they were within 30 seconds. At this point 3 more guys attacked the field and tried to bridge across. The field chased but they were still away although easily within 30 seconds leading into the dirt section.

When the 3 guys were caught the pace picked up with Roman from Mikes Bikes at the front. The pack was strung out and I was comfortably sitting in the top 10. I stayed in the top ten all the way through the dirt and by the time we hit the road there were 5 or 6 guys with about 30 seconds including the original breakaway, then there was our group of 7 with no one else in sight behind us. This was fantastic. I counted 3 Cat 1's and 4 Cat 2's in my group. I wasn't sure who was in the group ahead but this was a good spot to be in.

Our group was hesitating with only 3 of the 7 really taking pulls. I pulled through a couple of times just to keep things moving and then rolled to the back of the group with about 1K to go. We still had a big gap on the next group behind us, and the group ahead were only about 45 seconds up the road.

At about 1 K to go two of the Cat 1's from our group rolled off the front and got a gap of about 5-10 seconds. It was Gregory White and a guy from Sierra Nevada. I looked around at our group and didn't fancy my chances in a head to head sprint so at about 500 meters to go I rolled off the back a little and wound up an attack. It was do or die but I was feeling good and wanted to improve my chances. I came past the group of 5 that I was in so fast that no one could go with me. I passed the 2 Cat 1's who were just ahead of us and they didn't come with me. I'd got a gap on the group and was charging towards the line. I passed the 200 Meter to go sign and still hadn't been caught but the finish was uphill. I looked back to see some of the guys closing in but I still had a gap. With about 100 meters to go I got out of the saddle and sprinted for the line, I could hear someone coming up on my right side but kept digging as hard as I could, as we crossed the line one guy from Sierra Nevada just passed me by about half a wheel, but I'd stayed ahead of everyone else in the group for what was a solid top 10 finish in a Pro/1/2 road race. Possibly my best finish ever in a race at this level.

Now I'm waiting for the official results to be posted so as I can see exactly how I finished. Possibly 6th or 7th overall and 3rd or 4th Cat 2. It's hard to tell. I'll update this info later.

Breakfast: Banana, Egg Sandwich, 2 tortillas with Almond Butter, Cytosport Monster Amino.

Race Food: 3 Gels, 2 Packs of Cytomax Blocks, 4 water bottles.

Location:Paskenta, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment